Is it even Christmas if you’re not forced to endure endless hours of organised fun with your extended family when most of us would rather be watching the Xmas specials? We thought not. From charades so frustrating you’re forced into grabbing a bev from the bar cart to the most infuriatingly terrible depiction of the Nativity scene during Pictionary, it’s safe to say there are some games best left collecting dust on the shelf…
One festive pastime you can rely on to add some spice to your Friendsmas dinner or keep the whole family entertained in the 4pm lull is a good old fashioned quiz – because who doesn’t love a spot of Family Fortunes style excitement?! All we’ll say is if Vernon Kay is involved, sign us the f**k up. As a nation, it’s safe to say we overdid it on the quiz front during the 2020 chapter of banana bread and Joe Wicks we’d prefer to forget (sorry Joe), but in the spirit of new chapters and rewriting happier memories this Christmas, the time is now for bringing back the humble quiz. With an emoji round for TikTok lovin’ teens of the family, a classic Christmas round for the grandparents, and finally some ‘was it during 2020 or 2021 trivia’ that everyone can get involved in, look no further for a selection of juicy questions ready to pull everyone out of a cheese induced food coma pronto.
Christmas Films – Emoji Style:
It does what is says on the tin- simply decipher the emojis below to create the titles of some of the most well-loved Christmas films around. Bonus point for number 9 because he’s a rogue one…
- 🏝 🇺🇸🇬🇧
- 🤩3️⃣4️⃣ 🏘
- 🎄➡️👪 😡
- Last Christmas
- The Holiday
- Love Actually
- The Princess Switch
- Christmas Chronicles
- Miracle on 34th Street
- The Muppets Christmas Carol
- Bad Santa
- Christmas with The Kranks
The Classic Christmas Qs:
The Christmas round- because is it really a December quiz without it? These family-friendly questions range from historic to foodie to popular culture and back again, providing something for uncles, cousins, and grandpa alike.
- If you were born on Christmas Day, what star sign are you?
- Which Christmas song is the highest-selling single of all time?
- How many siblings does Kevin have in Home Alone?
- Which country donates the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square?
- What year was The Snowman first shown on TV (on Boxing Day)?
- In the song ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’ what was the gift given on the seventh day?
- Pipers pipin’
- Swans a-swimming
- Lords a leapin’
- Geese a layin’
- In which country is it tradition to eat KFC for Christmas dinner?
- How many different types of sweets are there in a standard box of Quality Street?
- What date in January should all your Christmas decorations come down by, according to tradition?
- What do Excitable Edgar and Monty the Penguin have in common?
- White Christmas, Bing Crosby
- A, 1982
- Seven swans a-swimming
- 12: The Purple One, The Green Triangle, Coconut Eclair, Orange Chocolate Crunch, Toffee Deluxe, Fudge, Milk Choc Block, Toffee Penny, Caramel Swirl, Strawberry Delight, Orange Creme.
- January 5
- Both are stars of previous John Lewis adverts
A Year in the Making- The 2021 Round:
Have you been paying attention this year? It’s time to find out. Unlike 2020, the past 365 days have flown by faster than it takes to demolish a freshly baked camembert , but for the attentive amongst us, this round might just be a breeze…
- What was the name of the picture book for children written by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex?
- Marks & Spencer goes to war with Aldi over what cake?
- Which football club wins the FA Cup for the first time, defeating Chelsea 1–0 in the final at Wembley?
- Who was the former owner of a Ford Escort sold at auction for more than £52,000?
- At the end of November, which country became the world’s newest republic?
- Line of Duty finally identifies the Fourth Man, better known by what initial?
- Which of the following billionaires went to space in 2021?
- Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg
- Sergey Brin and Bernard Arnault
- Richard Branson and Jeff Bezos
- Elon Musk and Bill Gates
- What anniversary is the Harry Potter film franchise celebrating in 2021?
- Who won Album of the Year at the 2021 Grammy Awards?
- In which month were zero daily deaths from Covid 19 reported in the UK for the first time since the start of the pandemic in March 2020?
- How many players took part in Netflix’s record breaking Squid Games?
- Which body of water was blocked by the Ever Given container ship back in March?
- Which singer performed at President Joe Biden’s inauguration?
- Who wore an all black, head to toe bodysuit to this year’s Met Gala?
- What was the name of the comedy special released by Bo Burnham?
- The Bench
- Colin the Caterpillar
- Leicester City
- Princess Diana
- Richard Branson and Jeff Bezos
- Taylor Swift with Folklore
- June 2021
- C, 456
- Suez Canal
- Lady Gaga
- Kim Kardashian
Think Twice- Was it 2020 or 2021?
You’d be forgiven if every answer in this round was wrong because honestly wtf was the last two years. Nevertheless this quick fire final round is the light relief we need after another heavy year, and some potentially easy points for the pop culture experts in your family.
- Bridgerton dropped on Netflix
- Olivia Rodrigo released her debut album SOUR
- *The* Jackie Weaver debacle
- Meghan and Harry announced they were stepping back from the Royal Family
- The US Capitol building was stormed
- The Friends reunion
- Emma Raducanu winning the US Open
- Jesy left Little Mix
- We fell in love with Noodle the pug and if it was a bones or no bones day on TikTok
- The Tokyo 2020 Olympics
How many answers did you get right? Disclaimer: Team Zoella is not responsible for post quiz arguments with Uncle Steve…