Ho, ho, ho(e) lads, December is upon us and is anyone else feeling more festive than ever this season?! After the dismal Christmas that was Xmas 2020, this year we’re going bigger and better than ever with our celebrations, with plans including stocking up on more Baileys than can sink a ship, setting up camp in front of The Holiday with a cheese board large enough to feed a small army and bringing out the LBDs that have been sat in waiting for the past 365 days. In the words of Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen: “It’s always a good time”.
Here are 20 things to do in December that will have you feeling like you’re living a Love Actually fantasy…
1. Buy an overpriced mulled wine at the Christmas market and shed a silent tear at the sorry lunches you’ll be eating for the rest of the week to help your bank balance recoup.
2. Ruin Secret Santa by accidentally revealing your gift recipient after one two many glasses of bubbly. Sorry ‘bout it.
3. Perform the entire 10-minute version of All Too Well at the office karaoke.
4. And watch the festive vibes come crashing to a screeching halt.
5. Make a Christmas leftovers sandwich à-la Emily Mariko and savour the simple pleasure of enjoying the best meal of the year.
6. Watch Little Women and sob. That’s it, that’s the tweet.
7. Suggest a festive walk with the fam and suppress your silent rage for the next hour at the snail’s pace you’re forced to adopt. There’s mince pies to be eating and Netflix to be watching, Susan!
8. Unwrap your Black Friday splurges and wonder why you ever thought you’d use a spiralizer. Festive courgetti anyone?
9. Watch Last Christmas and reminisce on how ‘so bad it’s good’ the twist is.
10. Demolish an entire camembert and ward off disapproving stares from Uncle Brian who thought he’d get a look in. Some of us are vegetarians ‘round here!
11. Skew your entire Spotify Wrapped for 2022 already by listening exclusively to Michael Buble for the next 31 days. It’s Michael’s world and we’re just living in it.
12. Spend around 3 hours deciding on a Christmas mani design before settling on red glitter because sometimes being a basic b*tch is just how it’s supposed to be.
13. Get emosh reflecting on Christmas 2020 and finally being reunited with your nearest and dearest this sparkly season. We’ll take the arguments and all!
14. Spend ungodly amounts trying to win a giant teddy bear at Winter Wonderland only to leave with an empty purse and frozen feet. Turns out Converse have a time and place and it ain’t here.
15. Do a bulk turtleneck order to hide any tattoos and piercings you’ve acquired over the past 365 days before Granny arrives.
16. Wonder where the days of receiving an iTunes voucher for Christmas went and remember you are in fact now, old.
17. Attempt to mature your taste buds by trying Christmas pudding for the 7391985th time, but nope, still gross.
18. Shudder with anxiety every time you think about New Year’s Eve and settle on curling up with a book and takeaway. A slice of fiction never let anyone down like a washing machine-esque midnight kiss did.
19. Watch your iPhone screen time nosedive as you lap up time offline and wonder why you don’t digitally detox more often.
20. Wear red lipstick on the daily and channel your inner Ms Swift forever(more).