Another January, another all-consuming article about getting healthy blah blah blah. We hear ya! Wellness is such a January buzzword and we get it, it gets right on our boobs too.
This is about making sure you look out for what’s on the inside by giving your immunity a head start
Well, fret not because we’re not about to suggest you go on a juice cleanse and chug a carafe of cayenne pepper and manuka honey every morn in order to love yourself right. This is about making sure you look out for what’s on the inside by giving your immunity a head start, so by the time blue Monday rolls around, you’re ready and raring to give him the finger. Think of them as little DIY elixirs to kickstart your morning with a bunch of feel-good ingredients and a positive mental attitude to boot.
Here’s a few homemade juice remedies to work into your morning routine when time won’t allow for eggs and avo. Plus, they happen to be a hell of a lot cheaper than their shop-bought counterparts. Cheers to gut health and pennywise wellness, friends!
Holy Grail Ginger Shot
For those days when you feel a bit groggy, leave it up to this ginger, lemon, apple and turmeric shot to get to the root of the problem. It’ll stop a cold in its tracks, soothe digestive issues, reduce inflammation and make you feel brand new in no time. Ginger and turmeric = the new G&T, peeps.
- Wash and peel all the ingredients and put straight through the juicer.
- If you haven’t got fresh ginger and turmeric root, juice the lemons and the apple together, decant and then add ground ginger and turmeric once poured.
- If you’ve got a lot of mucus going on, add half a tsp of cayenne pepper.
No-Booze Pineapple Punch
Though she be but little, she is fierce. This pint-sized pineapple beverage packs a punch. Crammed with powerful antioxidants, vitamin C and zinc, it will bless you with a whole new lease of energy.
A word of warning – protect your kitchen worktops. Turmeric has some serious staying power as well as magnificent anti-inflammatory properties.
- Glove up and prepare the ginger and turmeric.
- Place all ingredients in a blender on high until combined into a liquid. Pour over a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Cover your countertops with a large piece of cheesecloth.
- Scoop the pineapple paste from the bowl onto the cheesecloth. Gather the cloth around the paste and squeeze out the juice into a bowl.
- Pour into a kilner jar for storage and pour into single grab-and-go shot servings when ready. 3-2-1, cheers!
Green Goddess Medley
Go ham on your superfoods with this refreshing green goddess juice. Versatile, healing and rich in anti-oxidants, it’ll put a pep in your step before manic Monday’s even had a chance to rear its ugly head.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender – it doesn’t have to be a juicer, that’s where the nut milk bag comes in.
- Pour the mixture into the bag, squeeze all the juice over a bowl and transfer to a glass jar to refrigerate and enjoy your daily 2oz health shots.
- If you’re not planning on consuming within 2-3 days, freeze individual servings or adapt the recipe to suit.
Grapefruit & Ginger Tonic
A powerhouse brew guaranteed to give you that AM boost. You can also try adding in 2 tbs of the OG wellness ingredient apple cider vinegar for an extra dose of gut-friendly bacteria.
Please consult your GP before consuming grapefruit as it can cause serious interactions with certain medication.
- Juice the grapefruit and lemon and combine in a small pitcher. In a saucepan, combine the ginger, water and honey.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then leave the ginger to steep for 10 minutes.
- Sieve the honey and ginger mixture over the grapefruit and lemon juice.
- Discard the ginger, chill and serve. Spike it with a hint of cayenne if you like your morning brew on the lively side.
Clean Beets is a great all-rounder. An earthy juice with a kick of ginger, this shot is loaded with vitamins, minerals and much-needed essential nutrients including Vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc. That lot will ward off the common cold.
- Whizz your ingredients through a juicer and decant into an ice tray.
- Once frozen, you can decant one cube into a glass the night before ready for your chilled shot in the morning.