Once you’ve tried this tear ‘n’ share Christmas tree bread, no other bread will do. It seems tree-shaped pizza is the only kind that matters.
This simple garlic dough ball recipe is the ultimate Christmas crowd-pleaser and takes just 40 minutes to make, so you can be back playing Charades in no time.
Each bite is like a little parcel of Yuletide jubilation for your mouth, stuffed with oozy mozzarella and brushed with a melted butter, garlic, basil and parsley glaze and dusted with sharp, nutty parmesan.
Let the butter dribble down your chin and let the parsley wedge itself between your teeth for days – this is the top-tier holiday appetizer you need in your life.
- Preheat oven to 230°C. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Cut your mozzarella into 1” pieces and set aside.
- Finely chop your parsley and basil and set aside.
- Crush your garlic and set aside.
- On a floured surface, divide your pizza dough into two pieces.
- Stretch and roll each piece of dough into a long rectangle, then cut dough into 2” squares. You’ll need to work out how many pieces you’ll need to make your tree, we went for 33.
- Wrap a dough square around each piece of mozzarella, forming a tightly sealed ball.
- Place balls seam-side down on the baking sheet in the shape of a Christmas tree make sure they’re touching.
- Beat your egg and brush the egg wash on the dough balls.
- Melt your butter in a small bowl and add your finely chopped herbs and crushed garlic, brush this on to the dough balls.
- Grate your parmesan and sprinkle this on to your dough balls.
- Bake until golden, 15 – 20 minutes.
- Serve straight from the over with warm passata for dipping!