Whether you’re in the lumpy or smooth camp, there’s a mashed potato match out there for everyone. Based on an original recipe in Cordially Invited, for a herby twist on this Thanksgiving classic, add in garlic and rosemary and serve with a choice of pork and veggie sausages and lashings of gravy.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into quarters. Place them in a large saucepan with the chopped garlic and salt, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for a further 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are tender. You can test to see if they’re done by inserting a knife. If they slide off, they’re ready to go.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gravy. In a saucepan, mix 4 tsps of Bisto granules with 250ml of cold water (adjust quantities as needed). Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened. Simmer on a low heat for 3-5 minutes and transfer into a gravy jug.
- Using a colander, drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl with the cheese, butter, milk and rosemary. You can heat the milk and butter beforehand and pour over the potatoes if you prefer.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or an electric hand whisk. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh rosemary.
Serve in a large dish with a jug of gravy to let guests decide themselves if they fancy a little drizzle or a large lake. Serve up cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in little dishes for people to add their own mix-ins.